Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sleeping in an RV overnight okay in Oregon rest areas

Even though "camping" is not permitted in Oregon highway rest areas, it's okay to sleep in your RV as long as your stay does not exceed 12 hours.

Here, from the Oregon Travel Information Council, is the official word:

You are welcome to sleep, take a power or cat nap, and otherwise relax. In fact, we encourage road weary drivers to do so before continuing a long journey. Data indicates that weary drivers have a far greater chance of falling asleep at the wheel or being involved in a vehicular accident. You can slumber in your camper, snore to beat the band in your RV, or dream about Oregon blueberries in your van, as long as it doesn’t exceed the 12 hour rule.

But remember — no pitching tents, no extending slideouts, no deploying leveling jacks. Your RV must be in "travel ready" condition at all times. Rest areas are NOT campgrounds!

2 comments:

  1. This is good info, but as a former truck driver who frequented rest stops for power naps, I will do my best to stay anywhere else. When I was in my company truck I wasn't all that worried about what was going on outside (as long as I was OK INSIDE). But when I'm traveling with MY stuff, I don't want to hear ANYTHING going on outside. I can't sleep in those places anymore now that I'm retired. I'd rather find a hospital somewhere and park in THEIR lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I question how any state could prohibit a driver from staying in a rest area for a period of several hours since the intent is to keep sleepy/tired drivers off the highways. I never hesitate to stop and sleep in a rest area if I feel safe.

    ReplyDelete